It is a common misconception that you have to be a ballet dancer to do barre work. But the reality is that there is absolutely no dance experience required. It is true that barre is used extensively in ballet training and warm up exercises but barre work is an excellent workout in and of itself. It can help improve flexibility and strength in individuals looking for an alternative workout. Most people are surprised to find out that barre is much more of a workout than it appears. Here are the top 10 benefits of taking a barre class:Read More
By Abby Luedecke, Triathlon Coordinator at the Village DC Ranch
Running, for the most part, is a solo sport. Many of us run to clear the mind, relieve stress, and give us time for self-reflection. Who couldn’t use some “alone time” every day? However, after 15 years of running, I've come to realize the invaluable benefits of running with a group. It doesn’t have to be a big group, yours could be as few as two, but here are five good reasons why you should buddy up for your next run.Read More
If you walk into any Pilates class at any gym or health club, more likely than not the class will be dominated by women. While this trend has existed ever since Pilates started to become a popular exercise, men are quickly catching on to it’s benefits – including some of the world’s top athletes like LeBron James, Tiger Woods and Kobe Bryant. It’s not just a couple of high-profile players, but entire professional sports teams from the NFL, NHL and the NBA are also getting in on the action.Read More
Thanks to money made from the sale of some old spin bikes, Camelback Village Group Fitness Director Linda Hertzberg was able to have a steel beam structure and awning installed on the roof deck overlooking the tennis courts.Read More
The Gainey Village Instructor of the Week is Jesica Drago, this week you can bring any guest with you for free to any of Jesica's classes. Below you will learn a little bit about Jesica.
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done? Jumped into a river from a 60ft cliff.
- Do you prefer chocolate or vanilla? Both.
- What’s your favorite vacation spot? Montana.
- Who is your favorite musical artist and do you play much of their music in your classes? Anything from country to pop...right now, I've been jamming out to Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and Cruise feat Nelly.
- How many places have you lived in your life? Three states, Montana, California, and Arizona. Moved to Arizona right after college in 2002.
- What is your favorite animal? Do you have pets at home? No pets, two toddlers are enough!
- Other than the current classes that you teach, what is another class you would love to add to your portfolio of classes? I would like to get into Pilates but for now bootcamps, muscle, TBC, cycle, barre and Tabata keep me busy.
- Seafood, meat, or vegan? Meat.
- Favorite restaurant in the Valley? Grimaldi's pizza I might be a little biased my husband works for them.
- Favorite movie ? Depends if I'm watching alone, with kids or with my hubby. Watching alone I like girly comedies, with my hubby suspenseful and my kiddos can't watch enough Barney.
- What does your ideal day consist of? My ideal day would be sleeping in with no plans for the day!
This weeks featured instructor is Deborah Garland, remember to bring a guest with you for FREE to any of Deborah's classes this week.Read More
10 things you might now have known about Margerie, remember if you come to any of Margerie's classes this week you are invited to bring a guest for free:Read More
Camelback Village is very excited to offer a beautiful rooftop open air studio that allows classes to work out within sight of the most beautiful view in Phoenix and is truly and incredible experience to offer at the Camelback Village Racquet and Health Club. The Open air studio includes a ventilated awning cover. If you're ready to come up top and take a class, please inquire at the front desk for more information on the following Open Air Rooftop Studio.
- Naturally Heated Hot Yoga with Natural Dry Air
- Boot Camp Classes
- TRX (Suspension) Classes
10 Thing You Did Not Know About Lori
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done? Got offered (and accepted) a Wild Card entry into a professional tennis tournament. I didn’t make it into the main draw but it was a crazy experience!
- Do you prefer salty or sweet? Definitely sweets. I have a terrible sweet tooth!
- What’s your favorite vacation spot? Caribbean….St Thomas/St John
- Who is your favorite musical artist and do you play a lot of their music in your classes? Pitbull and YES, he is played in ALL of my classes.
- How many places have you lived in your life? Wow, where do I start? Buffalo, NY (2x); Medfield, MA; Midland, MI (2x); Louisville, KY; Grand Blanc, MI. I am finally somewhere WARM!
- What is your favorite animal? Dogs and cats. Do you have pets at home? Yes, I have 2 black and white kitties- Cookie and Pikachu, who are sisters.
- What was your favorite subject in school? Probably gym. I loved beating the boys in sports!
- Favorite restaurant in the Valley? Fresh Mint (Vegetarian)
- Favorite movie of all time? Grease. Now I love the movie, Pitch Perfect!
- My ideal day would be: Team teaching Zumba with my Zumba partner, Linda; going shopping and having lunch with my girlfriends; a little tennis with my hubby and boys in the afternoon; and then a romantic dinner out with Jim and a walk on the beach somewhere.
10 Fun Facts About Lori
- Proud Mom of 2 boys, CJ (19) and Cameron (14)
- Huge Michigan State University sports fan- my nephew (Andrew Maxwell) is the QB !!
- Played 4 years of Varsity tennis at Ferris State University (Big Rapids, MI) and was Academic All-American twice
- Former triathlete
- Married to my awesome husband, Jim, for 23 years!
- Love animals!
- Grew up in Buffalo, NY and absolutely hate cold weather and snow!
- I have my undergraduate degree in Marketing (Ferris State University) and my Masters Degree in Exercise Science (Central Michigan University)
- Worked at Dow Chemical Company for 10 years in marketing and sales
- Love to cook….and bake!
Remember you get to bring a friend to any of Lori's classes for free this week!Read More